March 27, 2018
Celebrated in April each year, National Donate Life Month features an entire month of activities to help encourage Americans to register as organ, eye and tissue donors and to celebrate those that have saved lives through the gift of donation.
Did you know?
- The factors that determine who receives an organ include severity of illness, time spent on the waiting list, and blood type. Financial or celebrity status has no bearing on determining who receives a transplant.
- Each year, approximately 30,000 tissue donors save and heal lives.
- All major religions support donation
- 90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.
- The success rate for organ transplants is between 80 and 90 percent.
- People of all ages, races, and ethnicities can save and enhance lives by donating their organs, eyes and tissues. Organ and tissue transplants are needed by people from every area of our nation.
- Over 3,000 new patients are added to the kidney waiting list each month.
- There were 34,768 organ transplants were performed in 2017 across the United States.
- Despite advances in medicine and technology, and increased awareness of organ donation and transplantation, the gap between supply and demand continues to widen. The number of people on the national waiting list continues to grow, while rates of donation and transplant stay stagnate.
If you’re interesting in learning more or getting involved look for Unyts at one of these events happening in April.
- April 5th – Donate Life Month kick-off press conference at ECMC.
- April 6th- Donate Life Month press conference with the Niagara County Clerk
- April 9th-14th – Celebrate Donate Life Month by donating blood with the Buffalo Bills
- April 13th- Show off your Donate Life Spirit by wearing Blue & Green all day.
- April 14th - Catch Unyts and ECMC on WNY Living with Janet Snyder.
- April 27th – Join us for the 7th Annual Bucket List Bash at Statler City. Tickets are on sale now and include open bar, food, live music and more!
- Throughout the month of April, the community will turn their lights on to Blue & Green! Check out the Peace Bridge, Niagara Falls, the Electric Tower, the Buffalo Niagara Convention Center and many more WNY landmarks as they support Donate Life Month.
Check Yes today to become an organ, eye and tissue donor.