May 05, 2021
Blog written by Jeremy Morlock, Director of Kidney Foundation of Western New York
Team Buffalo is looking for members of the Western New York transplant community to join in events this June and July. Team Buffalo includes transplant recipients, living donors, donor families and supporters who highlight the power of donation and transplantation through participation in the Transplant Games of America.
This summer’s Transplant Games of America are unusual. Instead of happening in a single location, the Games will “Honor the Journey… Coast to Coast” with activities in hometowns all across the country. Athletes will compete remotely and submit scores online.
Transplant athletes and event participants can take part individually from any location. To raise awareness, build community and cheer for one another, Team Buffalo’s members are planning to host events locally. Western New York activities will take place in June and July, and there will be online celebrations July 16-19.
This summer provides a unique opportunity for new team members to participate in the Games while staying in Western New York. Anyone interested in joining the team can email TeamBuffaloTGA@gmail.com.
More information is online at kfwny.org/TeamBuffalo or through these social media accounts:
This summer’s Transplant Games of America competitions include:
- “5k to the Meadowlands”
- Ballroom Dancing
- Singles Bowling
- Singles Golf
- Texas Hold'em Poker
- Track (timed events only)
- Trivia Challenge (four separate competitions)
- Tx Tok (A Tik Tok Competition)
- Youth Olympiad
There are three categories for competitors:
- Division I: Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- Division II: Living Donors, Corneal & Tissue Recipients, Bone Marrow Recipients
- Donor Families/Living Donor Families (limited competitions)
A competitor's most recent transplant or donation must have occurred on or prior to October 16, 2020. All competitors must be medically approved by their physician to compete.
Transplant Games of America signature events will be produced from New Jersey and shared nationally online.
- July 16, 2021: Parade of Athletes
- July 16, 2021: Opening Ceremony
- July 17, 2021: Living Donor Celebration
- July 18, 2021: Donor Tribute
- July 19, 2021: Salute to Veterans: Road to San Diego