On episode 12, our hosts talk with guests Wendy M. Guyker, Ph.D., Clinical Associate Professor at UB’s Department of Counseling, School and Educational Psychology and Lea Sobieraski, liver transplant recipient, about how to cope with feeling of grief, guilt, anxiety, and depression.
If you or someone you love is struggling, please do not hesitate to reach out for help. Look for a counselor in your area or reach out to someone in your life that you trust. Also see below for resources suggested by both Lea and Wendy.
Podcasts for morning meditation:
- Insight Timer: An app for sleep, anxiety and stress.
- Motivation: You set how many positive motivations you want sent to your phone and during what times. You also get to choose what type of motivation you want. Free trial then a small fee*
- Action for Happiness: You receive simple, daily action ideas to help you boost your own well-being and spread more happiness to others.
Books & Tools:
- Yogis in Science a local non-profit that Wendy is involved with – she's provided a link to free weekly yoga classes (currently on Zoom).
- Mindfulness and Yoga for Self-regulation: A Primer for Mental Health a book written by Wendy's colleague, Dr. Catherine Cook-Cottone, on yoga and mindfulness for self-regulation.
- The Five-Minute Journal: The journal requires only five minutes of thought each morning and night. You begin each day with setting intentions and asking yourself what would make today great end then circle back at night to discuss the days positive moments and how you can improve for tomorrow.
- Mindful Self-Care: free survey that Wendy and her colleague developed with results and resources automatically e-mailed to you.