Paul Englert, Jr.

Paul Englert, Jr. became an organ donor upon his passing on September 19, 2013. 

This remembrance was shared by his family.

Paul was a happy, healthy 19-year-old young man who is described by everyone as always having a big smile and a hearty laugh. He was born January 11, 1994, on the birthday of his paternal grandfather. For 19 years they shared this special day together, and ironically God called them home only 10 days apart.

Paul Englert, Jr. shared a birthday with his grandfather, Urban A. Englert, Sr.

When Paul was a young boy, he enjoyed being with his friends, but he was always following around his dad, his “buddy,” whenever he could. If dad was mowing the lawn, Paul was right behind him pushing his toy lawn mower. If dad was doing yard work with his wheelbarrow, Paul was following along with his own trying to keep up with dad. Paul’s friends have since shared with us that he would tell them his dad was his best friend and he was proud of that.

Paul was very active throughout his life, playing many sports. He began with soccer and tried everything including karate, basketball, baseball, and wrestling, but his heart was with football and lacrosse. He began playing little league football as a Clarence Bulldog at the age of 7, playing the position of center. He continued through his sophomore year of high school at St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute. As a tribute to Paul, Clarence Little League Football retired Paul’s number, #51.

Paul played varsity lacrosse for all four years at St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute. He graduated from the school in 2012.

Paul started playing lacrosse in 7th grade at Clarence Middle School as a goalie. He excelled at this position and, as a result, started on the varsity lacrosse team all four years of high school, winning the MVP award his senior year as captain. A scholarship has been set up in Paul’s name at St. Joe’s and is awarded annually to a student that emulates Paul’s character: a focused student who led by example and was an enthusiastic lacrosse athlete who was dedicated, diligent and determined. Paul was filled with SJCI spirit and was a mentor and brother to all.

Paul was a faithful fan of the Georgia Bulldogs college football team for most of his life and attended many games with his family. Imagine his excitement when he was traveling through the Atlanta airport and ran into Aaron Murray, the quarterback for the Georgia Bulldogs. Now, Paul was a quiet young man, however, much to our surprise, he approached Aaron Murray and had a photo taken with him. He was thrilled when he called his dad to tell him the news.

Paul enjoyed woodworking, which he often did with his grandfather; waterskiing; and flying with his uncle in a small plane. He was finally able to convince his mother to go flying with him after many years of trying. He had the biggest smile on his face when we took off and his mother was in the plane with him.


Paul was a hard worker, sometimes having multiple jobs at once. Primarily he was an employee at Brookfield Country Club for 6 years, beginning at the age of 14 as a caddy and moving into the bag room shortly after. He was enrolled in the Civil Engineering program at UB and was looking forward to graduating in a few years and beginning his career.

Upon asking Paul’s friends to describe him, the same characteristics are repeated: He was always laughing and smiling. He was such a happy, big-hearted, all-around good guy who was great at giving advice. He had the ability to cheer up his friends without even knowing they were having a bad day. He enjoyed spending time with his friends, going to country music concerts and working out at World Gym with them. As a result of his hard work at the gym, one of his accomplishments was finally beating his dad at arm wrestling.

Because of Paul’s participation in the Donate Life Club while in high school, it sparked a conversation that no parent wants to have, much less have to act upon: organ donation. Paul was an organ donor and we have since found out he has helped several people. We have received a very heart-warming letter of thanks from a very grateful family.

Paul passed away from a pulmonary embolism on September 19, 2013 while attending class at UB. It is important for people to realize how highly undetected pulmonary embolisms can be and just how common they are. We hope to bring awareness as a result of Paul’s passing so he can continue to help others.

We miss you Paul, our only child. “WE LOVE YOU FOREVER!”

Englert-clot alliance
The Clarence Memorial Day parade included many people walking in honor of Paul Englert, Jr. and supporting Unyts and the National Blood Clot Alliance.
Do you know someone who has been touched by organ, eye or tissue donation?

We want to honor them. If you would like to nominate a loved one who gave the gift of life, please click the button below. ConnectLife will contact you when your loved one is chosen for the Hero of the Month.